The 2013 NJ IDOL vocal competition is open to New Jersey residents ages 15—29 years of age performing all genres of music such as folk, country, pop, classical, gospel and rock. The mission of this event is to provide young local talents a venue to perform and an avenue in which to further their careers.
A panel of judges will evaluate each contestant based on singing, musicality, appearance, and stage presence. The winner will receive $500 and the two runners-up will receive industry professional services prizes.
Prizes and Sponsors
- 1st Prize: $500 cash prize provided by the Watchung Arts Center
- 2nd Prize: 2 hour recording session with S.R.A. Studios of Scotch Plains, New Jersey
- 3rd Prize: Formal publicity portrait with photography done by Nancy Ori in Berkeley Heights
- January 28 - Entry postmarked
- February 9 - Audition * postponed to February 16
- February 22 - Semi-Final #1
- February 23 - Semi-Final #2
- March 2 - Final
* Auditions will begin at 1 p.m. and all contestants will be assigned a 1 p.m. or 3 p.m. time slot.
- Mark D. Conklin, songwriter, producer, manager, and founder of Music City East, LLC
- Lou Takacs, Senior Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs at INgrooves|Fontana
- Lisa Coppola, Recording Artist
Read more about the judges.
Prospective contestants should
- Carefully read the Rules and Regulations to ensure that you are eligible and that you have the necessary documentation.
- Download and complete the entry form.
- Download and sign the waiver/release form.
- Send the completed entry form and signed waiver/release form along with a check for your entry fee to WAC by Monday, January 28.
This event is not associated or affiliated with American Idol, its sponsors, producers or participants.
Finalists with the judges
Our NJ IDOL competition is now complete and the winners chosen.
Danielle Bellomo of East Hanover
Photos taken by Alex Canady, WHRHS
The contest began with auditions and was narrowed to 20 vocalists who moved on to the semi-finals on Friday, February 22, and Saturday, February 23. The final ten were chosen following the completion of the semi-finals and included the following young talents:
Danielle Bellomo, East Hanover
Frederick “Freddie “ Bourne, Union Beach
Joseph Gatti, Princeton
Caroline Hoynowski, Clark
Erica Kottler, Warren
Carl Martin, North Brunswick
Allison McKenzie, Freehold
Kandace Elaine Moore, West Orange
Kristin Morosoff, Tinton Falls
Alice Tuberty-Vaughan, Gillette
The Watchung Arts Center and the judges would like to congratulate ALL the gifted vocalists who participated in the 2013 NJ IDOL.
Special Thank You to Rosemarie Flores, Soprano/Vocal Coach, guest judge at the auditions, and to our volunteers:
Alex Canady, WHRHS Photographer
Alex Carr, WHRHS Audio
Kaileigh Gannon, Volunteer
Minna Gannon, WHRHS Photographer
Mike Gorczyca, WHRHS Audio
Bim Semmling, Volunteer
Diane Semmling, Volunteer
Tim Semmling, Volunteer
Gabe Waldman, WHRHS Video
Without all the volunteers this event would not have been possible.